Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Conference, a wedding, and wearing tails of pigs

I'm sorry for not being able to write last week. Our mission was asked to write a story about one of the people that we have taught and the challenges they went through to send to President Eyring. And my story was picked to send to him! I had to put in more specific detail and dates and he will be reading the story of J soon! :)
This week was AMAZING! It's so weird to think about how exactly a year ago, my life changed with the knowledge that I was now able to go on a mission sooner than I had anticipated. This last year has been the best one of my life. G and A had a super rough week and on Saturday, G told us that she no longer wanted to marry A and told me about the problems they were having. I told her, "Before you make that decision, go to general conference in the morning and listen. It might not be the words they use, but you will be able to receive an answer on what the Lord wants for your family." Their family was early Sunday, in the Antigua chapel, 30 minutes away, to hear conference. A was wearing a tie that he had probably saved up money and bought for conference.
When we passed for them in the night, we asked them what they thought about conference and if they had received answers. G paused and said, "I learned this morning that Satan just wants to destroy my family. But there is now nothing that can stop me from returning to my Heavenly Father...with my family...and with A as my husband. I will marry him." And then A said, "After hearing the way that President Monson talked about his wife......I will marry G and I will be baptized." It was my favorite night that I have ever had in my life, thinking that on October 19, they will be married. And on October 19, 2014, they will be able to enter the temple and make an even more important promise to keep their family together forever. Weeks earlier, during Sunday school, we were using the gospel principles book to talk about baptism. I looked down at G's book to see a splattered candle drop on the page talking about the baptismal covenant. I can't imagine when or which night she was reading the book past dark with a candle, but it is safe to imply that she has been ready for baptism for a long time.

On a funny note, G also thinks "pig tails" is the funniest and weirdest way to explain a style of hair. English really is funny in Spanish, but wearing "tails of pigs" as your hair is just weird.

On another note, I love my mission. I love my life. I love Guatemala. I love the people here. And I love my Savior who has allowed me to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment