Tuesday, October 15, 2013

"Cia" Hansen

This week has been a week of little miracles. While walking along a street, I asked my companions if one of them had contacted any contacts close by because our appointments had fallen through. They found a contact of a woman who lived on the street and when her son answered the door, he said his name is "Nefi Moroni". Bahaha, we found a family of inactive members who gave us their address! We taught them a lesson and quickly found out some of the reasons why they hadn't gone to church. We picked them up Sunday morning and walked to church, where they were welcomed and greeted by our little branch. They attended the baptism that we had on Sunday and her son attended a priesthood meeting, and today the mother is going with us to teach some investigators! I feel so blessed for being put in her path and seeing her come back so quickly to church after so many years. The church really does feel like a home and when they remember that, they want to return back.

Also, Hermana Rosa was baptized on Sunday! Her mother was baptized with her children a couple of weeks ago and now she could finally be baptized, also. That is the 6th member of their family that I have seen  baptized in the last two months! And with G and A this Sunday, it will be a total of 8. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this family. G and A have four children, J D(who has already been baptized) and three more. Their youngest daughter is still learning how to talk because I think she just turned 2. She knows a few words and always calls me, "Cia." I thought she was just confusing me with my old companion, Hermana G and so I continued on helping her learn how to say "Hansen". But then on Sunday, after I made her repeat "Hansen" about ten times, and then when I asked my name, she still said, "Cia." So I asked her mom, G "Why does L J still think my name is G?" And she laughed and said, "She's not calling you 'Cia', she's calling you 'Tia'". (English translation: "Aunt".) It would be impossible not to miss my family when I'm here in Guatemala, but it would be impossible to have a desire to leave my new family here to go back home. We are still super busy preparing for the wedding of G and A on Saturday but everything is falling into place and it should be a beautiful little ceremony, I can't wait!

And for those reading my blog and preparing for a mission. BUY A BACKPACK! I know they are not attractive to be carrying around all day but the Spanish scriptures are bigger than English and your back will kill you if you don't invest in a good backpack. I have bought a total of 4 different "backpacks" from Guatemala but they aren't as sufficient as going to Costco and buying a good one. Also, don't invest a lot of money in clothes. There are "pacas" here and sometimes we buy skirts for about 2 dollars, way cheaper then the DownEast 30 dollar skirts. But do buy a lot of church socks to go under your shoes, and when you tell your mom you thinks you have enough, believe her when she says you don't...bring many, many pairs because they get lost even easier in Guatemala than the states.

We have been teaching a new woman and her three children, and they attended church the first time on Sunday! When we had a "movie night" with the Restoration, and afterwards, she asked, "Where can I buy that DVD?" We are very excited to be in this area and I am loving every day, even when the days are a little tough. I love Guatemala and I love my mission and I love this message and I love the opportunity I have to share it, hasta luego!
Hermana Hansen

1 comment:

  1. Two sisters visited me and helped me to know Christ. And remind them. Sister Turley and Alvarado. I'm from San Pedro las Huertas, Antigua G. Thanks for your reply...

    ReplyDelete