Tuesday, May 21, 2013

new friends, wedding planners, and baptisms

Hello! I have made two new friends this week: the lady who lives next door to us sells chocolate covered bananas (a gift from heaven) and they have become a little 12 cent present of happiness. Just like I supported Hilberto's with my steady business, I am now supporting her and after the first two times I visited with her, she now gives me two bananas for the price of one! My second friend is a pet parrot who lives with a person near us ...I haven't seen it but every morning the parrot and I whistle back and forth and it has become quite entertaining when I need a little break from studying.

I have good news! We have a baptism set for this Saturday, for a boy who is twelve years old. We have been meeting with him since I arrived in this area and his mom is a recent convert, but he didn't really have any interest in joining the church or being baptized (his parents are divorced and his father doesn't encourage church attendance.) But we keep continuing to visit with him and last week we had a very good lesson where I challenged him to finally make a decision for himself and try to find out if this is the path for him. When we returned for the next lesson, my companion started talking about the Brother of Jared and he interrupted her and said, "I want to be baptized and I'm ready. I have prayed and read and I can't stop thinking about being baptized."

Besides the gospel jargon, we have been learning vocabulary for matrimony...we are wedding planners! We have been teaching a couple with a small baby and at first they didn't want to be married...and then they said, "Maybe in December when our baby turns one"...and now they have agreed to be married on the 15 of July and baptized on the 16! We have been busy trying to contact lawyers and ward members for help but everything is now falling in place and they are ready to make a lifelong commitment to each other and to God. I am so happy for them and I am so excited to be here helping them.
I have really grown to love the people here and whenever I am missing my family and friends from home and thinking of going back, my heart starts to miss the people I have met here. I have only been out for about 3 months but Guatemala already has a strong hold on my heart. I love you guys! The church is true and every day, I can see little miracles when I try to look for them. Until next week! Oh and Happy Birthday to Michael G., Sean A., and Jen B.! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment