Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A week of miracles

                           Sara and the other sister missionaries in her zone.
                              A trip to the zoo on p-day (preparation day)

This last week was like Christmas! I had my interview with my mission president on Friday, and he brought the mail for my zone! I want to send a special shoutout to Tori, AJ, Adrian, Dallas, Cole, Mom, Alexa, Jen, Lexi, Paige and (a special shoutout to my cousin leaving on her mission soon) :Breann, I got your dearelders! And I got letters from Annie, Mom, Austin, President Hixson (2), the Traina Family, Aunt Val, Steve Rogers, Kaitlyn Williams, Sean and David's wedding anouncement (which my companion saw and said, "Wow! That looks like something in the Ensign"). THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH! It really means so much to me to hear from so many people and even though I don't know when, or if, I will be able to write back, I love reading them and they continue to help me. (Sara only gets mail when they bring it to her - around every 4 to 6 weeks)
As for the past week, it was a week of miracles. We decided to start getting up at 5:15 a.m. so we can fit in more work and we are beginning to see the fruits of this decision. Here are some of the miracles we saw in the last week:
The woman with the son who found anti-Mormon stuff online: their pastor said the following to their congregation "...Have you guys seen those Mormon missionaries? It is usually a taller North American and a short Latino (they were really excited when we fit that description). They sacrifice months of their life to teach people about Christ. They are young people that work hard knocking on doors and helping the community. What other religion does that? I wish more people in the world were like them." As of now, her son has started reading the Book of Mormon and has asked to meet with us.
The other woman with the teenage daughter: We went on splits this last week, which means my companion and I split up and went with other members of the church to teach our investigators. My companion went to teach them and the mother said, "I am starting to see the real truth in all of this...and yesterday I was thinking about baptism...will you start teaching my son, too?" We met with her son on Saturday and he was really receptive.
We are also teaching a very young family who has a lot of trouble in their marriage. We are challenging them to start praying as a family ("a family that prays together, stays together"). They have been starting to pray as a family and I am starting to see more love between the two parents each lesson...it is amazing that when a couple draws nearer to god, they draw nearer to each other. And we talked about baptism yesterday and how it is a way to start a new life, forgetting all the mistakes we have made and dedicating ourselves to Christ. After we had described this, the husband said, "Alright, let's be baptized."
I am starting to see the influence our message has on people's lives, Marriages, families and individuals are becoming happier because the message of the gospel can fill a person's heart with genuine happiness and purpose that no other thing can satisfy. I know Christ lives and I am honored to be a messenger of this message here. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment