Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A typical day in the life of a missionary

A few people have asked me to give a run-down of my average day so I will do that this week!
At 6 a.m. we wake up and have time to exercise (usually I walk around my apartment doing arm circles trying to wake myself up!)
6:30-7:30 I look in the shower and make sure there aren't any animals or bugs in there ...If it is clear: I shower, then make breakfast and get all ready for the day! We don't have a toaster or oven so I have gotten pretty creative in cooking different ways. I usually make a scrambled egg for breakfast and make a little breakfast burrito, or I cut a whole in a piece of bread and fry an egg in it...I eat these things with a cup of cereal. I can't remember what the cereal is called but it has "Tony the Tiger" on the box! Sometimes if I feel like doing more work, I make pancakes and eat them with my three favorite food groups: peanut butter, nutella and syrup.
7:30-11:30 a.m. We have personal study (1 hour), then companion study(2 hours), then language study (1 hour)
We then leave to work for the day! We work from 11:30 a.m. to about 9:20 at night, with a half hour break for lunch at the house of a member. We teach about 7-9 lessons and contact around 40 people every day. The little kids really like talking to me because I have white skin and stickers! They always ask me what English words mean and they are usually really random...yesterday a kid came up and asked me what "Harlem Shake" means...
 At 9:20 p.m., we return to our house and the first thing I do is take off my church shoes and put on socks and Crocs...I am sorry that I may have made fun of some of you for wearing crocs before my mission but I have discovered the pleasant joy that comes while wearing crocs (around the house) and I am confident this habit will carry on throughout my life.
We then plan for the next day and finish at about 9:45 p.m., if I'm not very tired then I make dinner, which is usually a quesadilla or banana or peanut butter/jelly sandwich or cup of noodles soup! I then read from my Spanish Book of Mormon for about 20 or 30 minutes-I'm still determined to finish it in the next couple weeks! Then we get ready for bed and go to sleep at 10:30 p.m.
This is the same schedule every day except on Sundays when we have church for three hours in the morning. Also, every week on Sunday, we eat lunch with the bishop and his family! Monday from 10:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. we have preparation day and do our grocery shopping (walking to a tienda outside of Mariposa in Amatitlan) and clean our house, and Tuesdays we have district meeting and an hour to e-mail our families and our mission President. There's my week for the people that asked haha. next week will be a more interesting e-mail, I promise :
Love you guys! The work is hard but the people are amazing and every day it becomes a little easier to speak Spanish.  Oh and next week, I will write on Monday because we are going to the Zoo with our zone on Tuesday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment