Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I am like a MANGO

HOLA! The mangoes here are my new favorite thing in the world. The
Natives love them so much that they taught me a new phrase, "Estoy
hecha un mango". It literally means "I'm like a mango", and  basically
means "I'm just that good." They are worshipped here.
Anyway, another week has passed and I have officially been away from
home for a month! Just seventeen more of these and I will be sipping
Jamba Juice at Hilberto's with you guys. I made some discoveries this
last week. For example, we play basketball every day for deportes but
one of my friends is a lot taller than me and ALWAYS gets the rebound
since she has about six to seven inches on me when she raises her
hands. So I just check what clothes she brings to change into to play
and I wear the same colors, because we usually just split two teams
into similiar colors. Nobody has caught on yet, they just know that
our team always wins! ;)              
   It kinda feels like I've been in this country for a while  because nothing
really shocks me anymore. Except for last week because I was talking about
Costco and a teacher didn't know what I was talking about! So I stopped speaking in
Spanish because my limited Spanish vocabulary could not accurately
explain the magnificience of Costco. I don't think I could adequately
explain it in English either but I tried the best I could. I hope she
can visit America one day so she can go to Disneyland, the San Diego
temple, and Costco.
Oh and we moved today! We are now living at the CCM and I should have
a room with my companion and four Latinas, they are moving in tonight
since it's transfer day. It should be a really good way to practice my
spanish.
I got quite a few dearelders on Friday from mom and dad, Becca, Julie,
Kjersti, Cole, and Baby Sarah. Thank you guys so much! Even though I
can't reply much yet, it will be a little easier in the field where I
can buy more stamps and stuff. But I really appreciate the letters and
they give me so much motivation! After today, just start sending stuff
to my mission because it takes so long and I will be there in two
weeks :) Also, I got a letter from dad and from Annie Tenney! I love
that woman and it was so nice to get a hand-written letter, please
tell her thank you. (And I love you too, Daddy. Your letters mean the
world and I keep them in my Captain America lunch box on my bed! When
I'm  having a rough day I pull out my dearelder letters and read
through some of them)
CONGRATULATIONS to Lexi Hixson and Seth Risley for your mission calls!
It is so exciting to hear about friends being called to serve
missions, please keep me updated on when they leave so we can write
letters!
I was thinking about how much has changed since I left on my mission
(which was only four weeks ago). Before my mission, I loved going to
church because it helped my life. I was going because I know it was
true and I loved the feeling of going to learn for myself. But my
thoughts have changed since I left, I still love learning about the
gospel but now I feel the responsibility of increasing my knowledge
for the benefit of somebody else. I'm learning so I can share the
happiness that I have felt with my investigators. And after my
mission, I will love going to church to help my family! It's kinda
cool to think about.
It's also cool how people love us here. We went to Walmart today
(super exciting to get almond kisses and doritos, my two favorites!)
and we also went to the mall. A guy walked up to us and just started
talking to us and asking us questions. He was a super nice Catholic
man who loves God and was super excited to see people who wanted to
share messages about the Life of Christ. He asked us if there was
anything he could help us do and left us with his contact information,
and he genuinely wanted to help us. It's just amazing to see people in
this country because it motivates me to learn Spanish because I
already love them and I know that through repentance and coming unto
Christ, their lives can be improved and happiness and blessings are
just waiting for them.
I love you guys so, so much! I'll write again next Wednesday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment