Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A gift of love and sacrifice -

This week was one of the best weeks of my life. It started as a tough week; my ribs are still really hurting and I just hate feeling sick. I'll admit, I was a little bit sad on Thanksgiving because I wasn't able to be with you guys. But on Thursday when we went over to Hermana G for lunch, a member from our branch welcomed us in and told me, "Hermana Hansen...Hermana G cooked really delicious things for lunch! There's chicken and potatoes and these things that look like tacos but they are really sweet." SHE MADE MY MOM'S ORANGE ROLLS! It was so delicious and I didn't feel so far away from home.
We then walked up to San Gaspar and there as a lady that looked like G from the back. It made me a little sad because I really missed her family, on top of missing my own "blood family". The lady turned around and I realized it was G, who had returned with her family that morning. It was so exciting to see her, it made my Thanksgiving day the best one of my life. Yeah we were missing turkey and football and thanksgiving runs...but it didn't matter because I felt like I had my family here with me. 
I also realized how much I have to be grateful for. On Friday, G told me she had a small gift for me. Behind her back, she was holding something and said, "My husband and I have talked and decided to buy you these to try to say 'thank you' for everything you have done for us." She then gave me a pair of new shoes, which I know was a huge sacrifice for them to buy. It was the best gift I have ever received and it means so much to me, and I know it also means so much to them.
Last night, we taught their family more about "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" with their extended family to help them have more unity. I also wanted to teach them how to make smores so we tied everything together. The marshmallow was the faith and prayer, two things which are essential to a successful home. The graham crackers were charity and forgiveness, because without those, our prayers are in vain (just like the marshmallow would be useless without the crackers). And Christ was of course the chocolate, the most important part. I pray for their family so often that it seems like I'm praying for my own family.
And with their return, they still think I'm part of their family. Not only J, but also M is starting to accidentally call me "aunt" and their dog follows us around. The other night it followed us to different appointments and we couldn't lose it, walking probably more than a mile to different places. Changes are coming up this next week, I am not excited for the upcoming dates, it feels like I'm leaving my family again. But I will willingly leave because maybe their is another family like that of Gladis and Antonio, who are ready for this change in their life. I love my mission!

No comments:

Post a Comment